For most folks, your garage door is the single largest mechanical device and door in the home. Like any mechanical device, there is always some danger if operated incorrectly. Since the garage door itself can weigh 400 pounds or more and the springs that make up the garage door opener are under tremendous tension all the time, it pays to be smart about your ‘garage door etiquette’. So with that in mind here are a few do’s and don’ts to keep everyone in your home safe and secure around your garage door:
1) Do Not Let Children Play With Garage Door Remote Controls – Sounds simple, but this one act alone could save hundreds of injuries each year.
2) Learn To Use The Emergency Release – You know that red cord and handle hanging from your garage door opener? What happens if you pull it? If you don’t know then you should read your manual, it could save a life.
3) Inspect Your Garage Door & Opener Once A Month – Look at the springs, cables, rollers and pulleys for any signs of wear but please do not attempt to repair them yourself. As previously stated these objects are under tremendous tension and should only be serviced by a qualified garage door repairman.
4) Educate Children On The Dangers – For example, tell children why they should never place their fingers between door sections.
5) Going On Vacation? – If your garage door opener does not have a vacation lock switch (which renders remotes unusable) then consider unplugging the garage door opener for added security.
Garage Door Service And Repair In Portland OR
Garage Door Excellence provides fast, reliable and affordable preventative garage door maintenance and garage door repairs to make sure that your garage door opener will operate safely and securely. If you suspect problems with your garage door opener or need regularly scheduled maintenance call or contact us today to request your free estimate! (503) 545-9390
Garage Door Excellence Offers These Services In The Portland Or Area:
- Broken Spring Repairs
- Cables Off Repairs
- Off Track Door Repairs
- New Residential Door & Garage Door Opener Installations
- General & Preventative Maintenance
- All Garage Door Repairs & Services
- Same Day Service
- 24/7 EMERGENCY SERVICE
- Free Door Install Estimates
Written By: Nic Koff